Tuesday 5 November 2013

Old Timer - a guest blogger. Part 4

I always have thought that Jane and I died the wrong way round. It would have been much better if I had died first. Jane would have had her family to support her and was she much better a running the house than I have ever been. But you cannot change things like that can you?

So many groups for widows and widowers are 95%+ widows and I reckon that we men need more practical help than the ladies do.


I had my first school governors meeting last night. I didn't know that money controls almost everything the school does. Education and the students don't matter nearly as much as a balanced budget. But it was nice to feel that now I'm not just a nameless employee. The Vice-Chair goes to the same stamp club as me so it was a shock when I recognised him.

After a long hunt I found a letter that my school sent me over 40 years ago pretending to be sorry that I wasn't going into the sixth form. I wasn't allowed to go because the sixth form had a different uniform and I didn't have the money to buy it. No uniform meant you couldn't go. My foster parents wouldn't pay, the Council said it wasn't their responsibility and the school said "no exceptions can be made". I hope things have improved since then!

I'm getting impatient waiting for half term and my visit to Wales to see Rosemary.

No comments:

Post a Comment